Do I Need Planning Permission?
This depends on what you want to build, Some minor alterations and extensions, particularly to houses, can often be carried out without the need for planning permission. This is known as 'permitted development'
Don't assume that your project will automatically need planning permission. Many alterations do not.
It often depends also on whether your house has been extended in the past. Even if you now only want to put a conservatory on the back of your house, if you have previously had an extension, chances are you will need planning permission for the conservatory.
Planning Permission under permitted development rights. You will need to apply for Planning Permission to extend your property if:
- The volume of the house would increase by more than 10% or 50m3 (whichever is greater) for terraced properties.
- The volume of the house would increase by more than 15% or 70m3 (whichever is greater) for any other house type
- You live in a conservation area, National park or Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- The extension is closer to any highway than any part of the original house (a footpath is also classed as a highway)
- The extension is higher then the roof of the original house or is over 4m high (pitched roof) or 3m high (flat roof)
- You are using over half of your external garden space
- The building is a Listed Building
These are only general rules for when you will need to apply for Planning Permission, and each project should be looked at individually. We would always advise seeking written confirmation that your development does not require Planning Permission from the local authority
Even if you have had no previous extensions, here are some examples of the type of extensions that in most cases need planning permission, to give you an idea:
- A dormer window in the roof of your house facing the road
- A two story extension
- A extension to the front of your house, or to the side if it faces a road
We hope you have found the information that you were looking for... but we would be happy to answer any questions you may have... so don't hesitate to call us.
Contact us today and learn more about what we do and can help you with on 07973756505.